new year

new year
new year

Sunday, September 25, 2016

DAY LIGHT ROBBERY



I was traveling by train from Chennai to Calcutta to attend the annual Sales Managers Conference. The train stopped at Visakapatnam Junction. I was sitting in the First Class compartment with co-passengers. Opposite me a lady was sitting. She was traveling alone. When the train halted, she was idly looking out of the window. Her hand bag was at her side unprotected.

 A well dressed young man came, sat next to her and started talking to her. The way he was talking to her we thought he was her relative. We paid no attention to them and were busy ordering  tea and snacks. I heard the young man telling her  that her relative was on the station looking for her. So she started looking out of the window looking for her relative. 

In the meanwhile the whistle blew and the train started moving. and gradually gathered  momentum. The woman was still looking desperately out of the window for her relative.In the meanwhile, the young man took her bag very casually, walked up to the door and jumped out of the moving train. Although we saw this we did not suspect the young man of robbery since we presumed he was her relative. The woman was still looking out of the window. Soon the train picked up speed and moved out of the station. 

After a while the woman stretched her hand to take bag. The bag was not there. She turned and looked at the place where she kept the bag. Suddenly she started screaming, "my bag, my bag! Where is my bag? Did any of you see my hand bag?" We told her that her relative took it. She started wailing, "He is not my relative. He robbed my bag. Oh, what will I do now. I had money, my ticket and a gold chain in that bag. What will I do now? What will I do?" She was crying inconsolably. We tried to pacify her. On hearing the commotion, the ticket checker came there. When he was appraised of the robbery, he advised her to get down at the next station and register a complaint with the Railway Police. He told us that such robberies regularly happened in the train. The robbers are well dressed and they look like gentlemen. They are smooth talkers. It is difficult to catch them because they commit the robbery when the train starts moving and jump out of the speeding train with their booty.
 
We felt foolish and very stupid to let the robbery take place right in front of us. When you travel by public transport be wary of strangers talking to you and keep a close watch on your belongings.
 
If you have similar real life stories, I will be delighted to hear them.

19 comments:

  1. This type of things happen all the time in our country too. We have to be very alert and suspicious of people approaching us to talk to us. Sometimes they work with their accomplice to distract our attention. They are very quick in their action. The world is no longer a safe place. We find it difficult to trust strangers nowadays.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You would think that with all the stories I tell I would have at least one of those but I don't. I suppose the closest I have is my rocking chairs. I had three comfortable rockers on my front porch. I spent happy hours sitting in them. I watched my children play and the world go by. Add a cold beverage and it was a pleasant way to spend a few minutes. One day as I was driving home I saw a car go by me in the opposite direction. It had three comfortable looking rockers in the trunk. When I got home I saw that they were mine! I feel bad for that woman from the train. I wonder if they were ever able to recover any of her belongings.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your story is a great reminder to always keep an eye on your things wherever you are.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I feel so sorry for that lady. There are some rogues in this world and I wish I could witness their removal.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's amazing the kind of scams and stuff people will come up with. I don't think I've heard anything like that before. That's quite daring really, considering that if they mess up their timing they're stuck on the train or they could get seriously hurt jumping off of it. I don't think anything could be worth that.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I don't think you should have felt foolish for not spotting the thief. It is more likely that the thief was just very good at his profession. In addition to evaluating his prey, he was most likely evaluating the people around her and acted accordingly. He does this for a living and is on constant alert whereas it was a totally foreign situation for you.

    As a rider on public transportation for over 50 years I always put my arm through the handle of a bag or the strap on my backpack while relaxing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
  7. Oh gosh. Those stories. I heard so much about them. I think it's true, that evil happens because good men look and do nothing. But when you're in the situation, it's easier said than done.

    I guess we should just be thankful you're all safe somehow.

    ReplyDelete
  8. People won't learn lessons, may there be millions of such incidents. Had the burglars been guided well in childhood they would have become good statesmen or something much worthy in life.They are much more intelligent than the so called high I.Q people.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is so awful, such a terrible scam. My friend's relative was visiting Toronto and having lunch in a fine Hilton hotel. She made the mistake of hanging her purse off the back of her chair as she ate and when she looked around it was gone.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Please do not feel guilty that you did not know this person was a thief. That poor woman didn't realize it either, until it was to late. Your story has alerted us to be careful and be aware of our surroundings.

    Thank you for visiting my blog today. I have enjoyed my visit here.

    Jan

    (Sorry...I had this in the wrong spot.)

    ReplyDelete
  11. your story seemed familiar to me as few year back travelling from Islamabad to Karachi in train a lady having child in her lap came to me and asked for space to sit as my husband booked the all three seats and birth of one side and that time my kids were on births ,i allowed her to sit there she get off from the train after one hour .while she was sitting we did not talk as i was reading a book and my hand bag was on the window side so i was satisfied but later i found found that my phone and money it was shock HOW ,
    may be when for just few seconds i was standing up to give something to kids on birth .it was first time i was travelling without my hubby and later he made fun of me because when he used to say no on such occasions i would say it is not right we should help them

    ReplyDelete
  12. It is so shocking,it could have been any one of you too. I wonder, how that woman managed to reach her destination safely. We are generally too friendly with everybody.
    So good to see you blogging again

    ReplyDelete
  13. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The thieves have become very skillful. We have to be very careful

      Delete
  14. Some server impediment occurred and the 'Comment will be.......'didn't appear. Then I thought of putting the comment later.That is the hitch.Thank you.for pointing out.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Namaste....
    Not every smiling face is a friendly face and foes often comes disguised as friends.

    peace.
    Rhapsody
    https://rappingonamelody.blogspot.com
    https://plus.google.com/101099217204323189067
    https://www.goodreads.com/rhapsodyphoenix
    http://twitter.com/rhapsodyphoenix
    http://pinterest.com/rhapsodyphoenix/
    https://www.facebook.com/RhapsodyPhoenix
    https://www.instagram.com/rhapsodyphoenix/
    http://rhapsodyphoenix.tumblr.com/


    “The highest education is that which does not merely give us information, but makes our life in harmony with all existence”-Rabindranath Tagore

    ReplyDelete